CHOICE #1: GGSB EMPIRICAL TRACK (4 REQUIRED COURSES AND 4 ELECTIVES)
Suggested “tracks” for students interested in concentrating in the Empirical track have been developed by the CSAC. (Model Systems, Population Genetics, Human Genetics, Developmental Genetics, and Genomics & Systems Biology) have been developed by the CSAC. A summary of the five suggested tracks is given in Appendix A. Students are required to consult with their assigned mentor prior to registration each quarter.
A total of four graded electives must be taken, one of which may be a reading course. The electives can be selected according to the student’s interests and the availability of courses.
Four Required Courses:
Genetic Analysis of Model Organisms AND Genomics and Systems Biology
Plus One of the Following Two Courses:
Molecular Biology I OR Molecular Biology II
Plus One of the Following Four Courses:
Fundamentals of Molecular Evolution OR Principles of Population Genetics I OR Evolutionary Genomics OR Human Variation & Disease
Empirical Track Course Electives [4 courses]:
- Must take 4 courses (see list of approved electives).
- Students may petition the CSAC for approval of courses not listed in this handbook as “approved”.
- At least 3 of the 4 electives are to be taken before the Preliminary Exam.
- All 4 electives should be taken before the Qualifying Exam.
- One of the 4 elective courses may be taken pass/fail subject to CSAC approval.
- One of the electives may be a graded reading course (see guidelines for reading courses).
Click below for a list of GGSB course descriptions, elective and student tracks: